Let’s explore some words that would make you wince.
Noisome [noi-suhm] (adj.):
1. harmful or disgusting, as an odor.
2. harmful or injurious to health.
Can you turn off that cigar? The smell is noisome.
Pungent [puhn-juhnt] (adj.):
1. sharply affecting the organs of taste or smell, as if by a penetrating power; biting; acrid.
2. acutely distressing to the feelings or mind; poignant.
3. caustic, biting, or sharply expressive: pungent remarks.
4. mentally stimulating or appealing: wit.
5. Biology . piercing or sharp-pointed.
Not even the best perfume could mask that pungent smell of his.